Open Data Training for Libraries
May 30th, 2019 9:30 (reg) 10:00 – 16:00
at TU Dublin City Campus (Aungier St. )
Admission is free of charge – Lunch and Refreshments Provided
About This Training
WIT Libraries in association with the Open Data unit of the Dept. of Public Expenditure are offering Open Data training to interested individuals this May 30th. This event will provide library and information professionals with an opportunity to learn about and discuss open data with peers and experts.
Open Data is an important and emerging domain that facilitates and promotes the use and re-use of public datasets across a range of areas and in a variety of accessible formats.
Meet Your Trainers
The event which will take the form of an interactive part seminar/part workshop will be delivered by UrbanTide. The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, on behalf of the wider Public Service, commissioned UrbanTide to provide Open Data Training for Public bodies in Ireland.
Co-Founder & CEO at UrbanTide
Who Should Attend?
Information professionals, librarians and library staff, data stewards, data scientists and data managers, data analysts, research support and administrative staff from HEIs and the public sector. Detailed knowledge of Open Data is not required.
TUD Aungier Street Campus
- Understand the theory behind open data
- Understand the Irish open data landscape and role within the wider movement
- Learn about practical and relevant examples
- Understand the practicalities of open data publication and reuse including licencing and standards
- Be able to identify the benefits of open data publication and open data reuse
- Identify how open data will benefit you and your organisation
- Identify next steps to take in improving data maturity and open data publication
- Background & Policy
- Examples of publication
- Open Data benefits and business cases for publishers and reusers
- Open Data Maturity Model
- Practical publication – 10 Step process
- Open Data Governance and Organisational Readiness
- Open data engagement
- Stop > Start > Continue Workshop to set out priorities for you and your organisation
Unfortunately, there are no more places currently available. However, places may become available shortly. Please fill this form in if you wish to attend and your name will be added to a waiting list.
This event is funded by the Department of Public Expenditure Open Data Unit @GovDataIE as part of the Open Data Engagement Fund. The event is run by Waterford Institute of Technology Library Services @witlibraries and Waterford Institute of Technology Research Support Unit @WIT_Research with assistance from LIR @LIRHEAnet.
For more information on Open Data visit the Irish Open Data Portal at https://data.gov.ie/ Promoting innovation and transparency through the publication of Irish Public Sector data in open, free and reusable formats. Over 9,000 datasets including Housing, Government, Energy, Education, Health, the Arts, Transport and many many others are freely available to access and re-use.
Under Ireland’s Open Data Initiative and as set out in Ireland’s Open Data Strategy 2017-2022, public bodies are to identify and publish appropriate datasets on the web as open data. Open Data Initiatives aim to create an environment where, by opening up government data, new opportunities for research, innovation, transparency, engagement and greater efficiency are delivered and realised by all.